Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Philippians 3:9 Why did Christ have to die?

Here's a big question, "Why did Christ have to die?" Ever thought about it? Couldn't God have done it another way? He's God, He can do anything, right? Why do you think Christ had to come to this earth as a human being, teach and love for a while, suffer like Hitler should have, then die on a cross?

Philippians 3:9 sparked that question and now my brain has a cramp from thinking about it. That verse reads, "and be found in Him, not having my own righteousness, which is from the law, but that which is through faith in Christ, the righteousness which is from God by faith;" I believe Christ came for many reasons, most of which we don't even comprehend now, but one of the reasons He came was to bring us righteousness from God in a way we could understand and thereby accept it. God's love is such a simple truth that all those who over think the concept struggle to understand it. I believe the complexity of the world we live in has blinded us to the simplicity of God's love. God could of showed us His love in a number of ways but He chose Christ on the cross. The whole concept of sacrifice in the Old Testament, the shedding of blood for sin, that reality was all part of God's plan to reveal His love for us through the death of His Son.

The last part of Philippians 3:8 tells me that my righteousness (right-standing with God) is from God, it's nothing I did by my own effort, it's something only God could have given to me and He's had for me since the creation of the universe, some 6,000 years ago. He's "the Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end", "God is love", and His love for us will be the same in the end as it was in the beginning. (Rev 1:8, 1 John 4:8)

Grace, MB

No comments: