Saturday, November 29, 2008

Philippians 2:29-30 Epaphroditus, A Hero

Epaphroditus? Who is Epaphroditus? Well, he's a fellow-worker and buddy of Paul's from Philippi who brought him supplies to help with his ministry. He's a hero. My mind can't help but think of all those who work behind the scenes to make things happen. The ones we take for granted, and let's be honest, lack appreciation for. I've been on both sides of the fence, and I'll admit it's nice to receive the praise and accolades when your in the spot-light. But now I see how selfish that can be. Is that really the best place to be?

When I played basketball I dreamed a getting that slam-dunk, the crowd going wild, and watching it on films the next day hearing my teammates go, wowwww, can he get up. Does that sound funny or familiar? What's funny is that now I could care less about seeing a dunk on TV, they are so common, but a great pass gets me excited. I understand now that without that assist the slam wouldn't be possible. Isn't it funny how different any game is when you understand what's really going on behind the scenes?

Paul understood the game; he says, "Receive him therefore in the Lord with all gladness, and hold such men in esteem; because for the work of Christ he came close to death, not regarding his life, to supply what was lacking in your service toward me". (Phil 2:29-30) Epaphroditus delivered a great assist. Paul said "here's a hero".

Let's be careful who we hold in high-esteem. There are some who really deserve heroic status, and they're the ones who are putting their lives on the line for our freedom and for "the work of Christ". Honor these above all others.

Grace, MB

No comments: