Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Philippians 4:4-13 Peace on Earth. Right!

During this time of year it's quite a challenge to remain peaceful. If there ever was a scripture that spoke to those having trouble maintaining peace and happiness it's gotta be Philippians 4. Who couldn't use the "God of peace" this time of year.

Philippians 4:9 "The things which you learned and received and heard and saw in me, these do, and the God of peace will be with you."

Well what are these things he's talking about?

1. Rejoice in the Lord always, again I will say, rejoice! (v 4)
2. Be gentle to all men. (v 5)
3. In everything pray; don't be anxious, let your requests be made known to God. (v 6)
4. Meditate on these things: Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good report, whatever is virtuous, and
whatever is praiseworthy - meditate on these things.
5. Learn to be content in whatever state you find yourself in.

I know this seems tough, and I'm sure it won't happen overnight, but if we really try, I think it's doable. Wouldn't it be worth it. When I was a kid I remember a song we sang in church that went something like..."I found happiness, I found peace of mind, I found the joy of living, perfect peace sublime, I found the real contentment happy living in accord, I found happiness all the time wonderful peace sublime, since I found the Lord." I'm not sure we knew what we were singing but I believe Paul did, for he confessed in verse 13, "I can do all things through Him (Christ) who strengthens me."

Grace and Peace, MB

3 comments:

LORI said...

These verses are so true...and your right it does take practice. Or you can learn the hard way like I always have to. I used to get myself so worked up and upset it was exausting. I always came out all right...and I started to think to myself, " why do you get so worried...you know you'll get through this,,remember when that happened and you thought you couldn't go on....but you did and now looking back, it was nothing.." Those kind of things happened to me all the time. So I learned to stop worrying...God will see you through. He won't give you nothing you can't hadle and you usually learn something really great because of it. When I pray for change in my life or something that is bothering me, I hate to keep praying about it because I hate continously thinking or talking about the thing I don't want. So I let God know what I want and then I just meditate or I call it daydream about Jesus and walking with him and talking with him and sitting with him. I keep those images in my mind and I like to sing in my head, Turn you eyes upon Jesus, look full in his wonderful face, and the things of earth will grow strangely dim, in the light of him glory and grace. And sure enough, my worries and the things I want to change about myself, slowly change. There's no anxiety, or concern, just peace and focus on the things that are noble, true, and right. Then one day, everything is changed and better and you realize this and are thankful.

Lori

Matt Brungard said...

I hate to dwell on the negative too, why is it so tempting to do so?

I love that song. Will it ever get too old to sing. Who said praise songs don't have guts like the hymns?

LORI said...

I THINK PRAISE SONGS HAVE MORE GUTS!