Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Colossians 1:1-29 Firstborn 1

When I read through the scripture preparing to write a post on this blog site I don't have a set agenda, I just write about whatever jumps out at me. This first chapter was no exception. How fitting Colossians chapter one is for Christmas.

Colossians 1:15 "He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn over all creation." (NKJV)


Some commentaries say this term "firstborn" refers to priority of position rather than of origin. Using passages like Psalms 89:27 to prove their point, "Also I will make him My firstborn, The highest of the kings of the earth." The author assumes the firstborn mentioned is in reference to Christ. Actually I believe it refers to King David, "highest of the kings of the earth". The writer is not talking about Christ at all. I believe firstborn means firstborn in origin, Christ was firstborn over all creation, not at the stable but before the foundations of the world. Before Christ created the heavens and the earth, He was created by The Father Himself. Christ is God and "God was in Christ reconciling the world to Himself. " (2 Corinthians 5:19) They are ONE. (John 10:30 "I and My Father are one.") Of course in the beginning Christ wasn't born in a physical nature, that came many years later. This birth was a spiritual birth, then came the physical in Bethlehem, when He emptied Himself (took the form of a bondservant) and came to earth. (Philippians 2:7) How many times was Christ born? 1,2, or 3. Stay tuned for yet another birth. To be continued...


Merry Christmas, MB

2 comments:

LORI said...

I will guess, off the top of my head. I think Christ was born three times...once with God the Father(and HOly spirit in my opionon)and second on earth, and third in heaven when he was ressurected. But i'm staying tuned...to see if I am right.

Matt Brungard said...

Smart girl