Monday, May 4, 2009

You're Forgiven

My favorite show growing up as a kid was "Happy Days". I can still remember the trouble Fonzie had saying "I'm sorry". You know, Fonzie was no different than most of us. Saying "forgive me" or "I'm sorry" is one of the hardest things I've ever done. Seeking forgiveness can not be avoided in this lifetime, we can be such idiots. However there is one person we will never need to ask forgiveness from, God!

Romans 6:10 says, "For the death that He died, He died to sin once for all;"

Ever since I came to an understanding of God's grace, my salvation being secure, I've never asked God to forgive me for my sins. Why should I, they've already been forgiven.

Hebrews 10:14 says "For by one offering He has perfected forever those who are being sanctified."

Now I must say I have on numerous occasions told Him I am sorry, and honestly I may have slipped and said "forgive me", but that's a moot point. Why ask forgiveness for something that's already been forgiven. I think the sinners prayer ought to be edited to say, "Father, thank you for Your forgiveness, I definitely need it. Thanks for giving me the faith to believe in you and trust you. From now on I submit to Your authority and ask that You be my Leader and I will follow. Thanks again, in Jesus name, Amen." The sinners prayer is no magic bullet, it's a guide, in fact, if you feel you need to say the sinners prayer to be saved, I question your readiness for it.

Grace, MB

1 comment:

LORI said...

WHOA...I never thought of that..I always ask for forgiveness. Basically because that was what I was taught growing up...I never thought about any other way until now. I always thought that we were sinners, and that even though you are saved, if you sinned and havent asked for forgiveness, and Jesus appeared to take you up, you would be left behind. So, I always try to stay conscious of my sins through out the day. Or at least try to ask at the end of the day..to cover me... But your saying we should never have to ask?..wow! thats gonna take some rearranging for me. I think I would feel arrogant, I mean I wouldnt, but I feel like God would think that(of course he wouldnt)...Weird..makes sense though.
Got my mind going again..thanks Matt.

Lori