Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Romans 7: 1-25 Ahhhhhh....Grace

Romans 7: 1-6 I was ok till verse 4, then the analogy suddenly became confusing. I would welcome any explanations on how we can understand this symbolism. At any rate, here's my 2 cents. I believe the wife in verses 2 and 3 represent us. The husband represents sin/death which has control over us because of the law. Christ then comes (verse 4), dies and comes back to life, thereby abolishing sin and death (2 Timothy 1: 10).

This leaves a problem with my thinking, what about the law between us? The equation looks like this... you/me + the law = Christ. Previously it was wife + the law = husband(sin/death). Well, verse 4 solves the problem in that we have died as well as Christ, no longer in bondage to the law so that we can marry another, Christ. Confused? Let me say it another way, Christ died, spiritually we died, Christ rose, spiritually we rose (picture of baptism). We are now free to marry another, whomever we choose. Christ or the world? If we choose Christ, we kill the power of the law and therefore the power of sin over our lives. If we marry the world and its laws, we revive the power of sin and its control over us. If your married to the world I'm recommending a divorce. "Just say I do" to Christ, it's the best marriage you'll ever have.

What we've been discussing here is the spiritual application of Romans 7, however the physical cannot be ignored. We can not rest in our spiritual victory and run from our flesh, it's who we are. The flesh is weak and susceptible to temptation and sin. Are we doomed? Hell no, get it? I love Paul for leaving us with verses 15 - 25. Paul is saying to us, don't get discouraged, don't give up or quit, I fail too, and I have evil desires racing through my veins as well. "Who will rescue me from this body of death? GRACE." (CLNT) It all comes back to grace. May we just be able to chill out, sit back, and relax in the bubble bath of grace.

Grace, MB

2 comments:

Carrie said...

"So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God's law; but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members."

I love this verse because I feel like Paul goes through exactly what I experience on a daily basis. Sometimes I feel like I'm trying so hard to do what is right, and then all of a sudden, temptation catches me off guard and I'm sinning. Thank God for grace. And thank God that with His help, I can rise above that temptation. :)

Matt Brungard said...

AMEN!