Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Romans 5: 1-21 Don't Jump Ship

We have hope. What is hope?

Noah had a hope (expectation - Concordant Literal New Testament); Noah spent over 100 years building a ship in his back yard. Can you imagine how disappointing (mortifying - CLNT) that was for him to walk out into the back yard to the jeers and ridicule of the neighbors. 100 years! Come on. What kept Noah going?

Romans 5: 2-5 Paul mentions 2 kinds of hope for us today. Verse 2 says "rejoice in hope of the glory of God". One day God will receive all the glory He deserves, made possible by His Son Jesus Christ. 1 Corinthians says "God will be all in all". I see this as our hope for the future. Verse 3-4 tells us of a hope that comes by tribulation (affliction - CLNT). We've all experienced some of that. Tribulation + perseverance + character (testedness - CLNT) = HOPE. Tough times will either make you wilt or cause your roots of faith to grow deeper. I guess it's our test of maturity. Only after seeing God get me through some pretty rough times did my hope in God's love grow.

Jeremiah 29: 11 "For I know the plans I have for you , declares the Lord, plans to prosper you and not harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." This is what people want to hear, this is your testimony. What God has done in your life and what He is going to do. Verse 5 What is the evidence in your life that you have this hope? Grace, MB

2 comments:

Pam said...

In a comment to Romans 4, Carrie mentioned some of the promises God makes His people. I love Jeremiah 29:11; it excites me that God loves me so much that He wants my best. He wants to prosper me; He doesn't want to harm me; He wants me to have hope and a future.

When I was unemployed in 2002 and receiving my last unemployment check without any prospect of a job, God proved His existence and His love for me. I went to my church for solitude and to pray. I prayed, "God, You have taught me that money is not important. God, maybe I am to lose everything I worked hard to have in order to truly have it all. God, I need work. If you exist, please let me get a job offer today." During my unemployment, I began tithing; I wanted God to know how much I trusted Him. Guess what? I arrived home to find a message on my answering machine...a job offer from my former employer! God exists, and He knew exactly what I needed!

The tribulation of being laid off and persevering through it, gives me hope AND proof that God IS faithful. He will see me through all my present and future afflictions! Anytime I begin to get concerned about my future, I just think back to this time and realize that God will always "have my back"!

Matt Brungard said...

Pam, that testimony is truly awesome. Part of me actually longs for a similar situation in my life so that my faith and hope might become as strong as yours, especially when it comes to money. The love of money is truly the root of many of my evils. Thanks for sharing. MB