Our church family is experiencing a changing of the guard. Over the last couple years we've mourned the passing of many key people in our local congregation. Most recently a long time saint and stalwart, Vonie Mills, passed on and is now awaiting the coming of Jesus Christ for His saints. (1 Thess 4:13-18) Vonie was a women of God and her shoes will never fully be filled. She was my youth minister when I was in high school and had a big impact on my life. I would not be where I am today without Vonie. I don't remember one lesson she taught us, but I remember her life and how she lived it. Vonie lived the kind of life that I would love to be remembered for. She made people like her, that's right, she made them. They had no choice. She was authentic in her love for other people and there was no hiding it. Dale Carnegie wrote a book, "How To Win Friends And Influence People", and in that book he has a chapter titled "Six Ways To Make People Like You". Vonie lived these six principles and judging from her life they worked.
1. Become genuinely interested in other people.
3. Remember that a person's name is to that person the sweetest and most important sound in any language.
4. Be a good listener. Encourage others to talk about themselves.
5. Talk in terms of the other person's interests.
6. Make the other person feel important - and do it sincerely.
This is not religion, this is living out what the bible teaches. It's being authentic. It's loving others. It's doing unto others as you've have them do unto you. It's being like Jesus.
Vonie, you will be missed.