Thursday, January 1, 2009

Colossians 2:19 Who's your Head?

Colossians 2:18b-19 "vainly puffed up by his fleshly mind, and not holding fast to the Head, from whom all the body, nourished and knit together by joints and ligaments, grows with the increase that is from God." (NKJV)

Paul is addressing deception in chapter 2. There were men who were too smart for their own good. They made up their own religion using philosophy, old laws and traditions, and casting doubt as to whether Jesus was really God in flesh. Boy, this tactic is still alive today. We are constantly bombarded with traditions, customs, philosophies, and other gods supposedly like Jesus. The world exposes each of us to over 3,000 advertisements each day.

If I've learned anything about myself in 2008 it's that I'm gullible. I could believe anything if someone convinced my they had the evidence. There are plenty of ideas out there that seem logical. I definitely have an open mind, and I think that's good, but it can get me into trouble as well. People are drawn to me because I have an open mind and am willing to listen. That's why Paul's warning struck me, "Beware lest anyone cheat you through philosophy and empty deceit, according to the tradition of men, according to the basic principles of this world, and not according to Christ." (v 8)

I must keep Christ the Head through which everything I see and hear gets filtered. This is the only way I'm gonna keep from being deceived. Hope this helps you too.

Grace, MB

3 comments:

LORI said...

I feel the same way Matt. If someone tells me they have evidence, I'm intrigued...I want to know about it. I'm a philosophical thinker and I don't know why...I just run my mind in circles and am not sure it does me any good thinking all the time like I do. It can be fun though, I will admit that. But it all boils down to the one true fact. Is God involved? Could God be involved? There are philosophies out there God made them and he is the Master mind behind it all. Some philosophy is true but they don't give God the credit. Just because someone has a philosphy and it works but it doesn't have God plastered all through it doesn't mean it's not true. Satan is deceitful and will make people think that it is of their own mind or actions when in fact it is not. Not to mention being politically correct do not want to offend anyone. So they won't admit it is God even if they do know it.

There are things that have come clearer to me in this past year, that work and that started me astray. But I needed to refocus and remind myself that things aren't the way they are just because, It's because God created them that way. God also said the only way to him is through the son, Jesus. And if you truely know God, you know that Jesus is the way, It is not able to be explained away. He lives in you and leads your life in a way, that nothing else could.

I'm not denying that there are philosopy that you will come across that will be true. There is philosophy that you will come across that is pure evil. We have to be able to decifer whether God could be part of it. If he could He made it for us to discover and we need to thank him for the knowledge that we have gained. Some people will discover the same things but do not realize that God is the root of it, and that is our job to spread the news. To bring it full circle. Being open to philosphy gets our foot in the door to open the eyes of the nonbeliever in the works that they are already doing. To direct the credit where credit is due. God. or Satan. We must be steadfast and open so that we can inform others and they will not be decieved.

So I guess I just answered my own question about not being sure why I have a philosical mind. There it is! This year I hope to be more focused on God and learn more of the word and become better at the word so that I might be able to tell others better.

Lori

Matt Brungard said...

Lori, you didn't have to tell me that you and I think alike, I guess it's obvious isn't it? Don't know if you're interested but I think it would be good for me to challenge myself to read through the bible this year. I'm three days behind already but it shouldn't be a problem to catch up. Donny and I are going to do it as part of our study together. Just a thought. I will probably do the blog based on the passages I'm working through. Thanks again for your comments.

LORI said...

Awesome Matt, I would love to do the same...I did it when I was younger and it was like blah, blah, blah, but there are so many great stories, and would love to go back....like for example I just read Esther yesterday. Great story..the day they talk about thirteeth day of the twelth month...is my birthday..weird. Anyhow, where are you starting in the beginning? I need to catch up as well. Let me know..

Lori