Friday, September 12, 2008

Ephesians 1:15 - 3:21 The Perfect Prayer?

Paul gives his prayer for the church, and what a prayer it is. You know you've given a good prayer when the church is still drawing strength from it 1948 years later. Growing up in the church you hear a lot of prayers over your lifetime, and I've given a few myself. You know, I've never given a public prayer that I've been satisfied with. They never seem "just right". A corporate prayer, as the church calls them, is your attempt to say what you think everyone is thinking or would say themselves. How impossible is that. You know, I'm not even sure corporate prayers are biblical. In fact Jesus speaks against them when they are given with the wrong motives. Listen to what He says in Matthew 6:5-8.

"And when you pray, you shall not be like the hypocrites. For they love to pray
standing in the synagogues and on the corners of the streets, that they may be
seen by men. Assuredly, I say to you, they have their reward. But you, when you
pray, go into your room, and when you have shut your door, pray to your Father
who is in the secret place; and your Father who sees in secret will reward you
openly. And when you pray, do not use vain repetitions as the heathen do. For
they think that they will be heard for their many words. Therefore do not be
like them. For your Father knows the things you have need of before you ask
Him."

So why should we pray? If God already knows what you have need of what's the point? I'm gonna let you all respond to that question, but before I close let me just say that prayer is important, both Jesus and Paul relied on it heavily. Jesus in Matthew 6:5-8 was making a statement against something beyond prayer. I think James was trying to say the same thing (see James 4:1-3). Think about that, I'd like to see your thoughts.

Grace, MB

2 comments:

Lori said...

I think even though God already knows what we want before we even ask for it, He still wants to talk to us. I think it forms a relationship. It draws you closer and opens your senses to what God wants from you. Just think about it. If you never talked to your best friend wouldn't your relationship start falling apart?. I think that God wants to see our willingness to seek him first with every part of every thought. I think he takes pride in that. Just like a mother feels when her child comes to her for the answers or shares something on their heart.
It is easy to say. Sometimes you fall out of habit and you find yourself struggling within your own means and you finally stop one day and you think, " Have I prayed about this?" Why not? I don't know the answer to that...I ask myself that question alot. And then when you come to the reality that your not as close as you used to be...It's sad. I like to think of the song..."he walks with me and he talks with me, and he tells me I am his own... thats our relationship. But you have to do some talking (praying) just like any other relationship(friendship). Or it will fall apart.
Lori

Matt Brungard said...

Lori, where did you come up with that? "I think that God wants to see our willingness to seek him first with every part of every thought." Excellent