Sunday, July 6, 2008

Galatians 3: 1-29

I had a lot of time to think about this 3rd chapter I read at Bob Evans this morning. After reading and then eating a hardy skillet breakfast, I spent the next 6 hours on my motorcycle on the way to Bryan College in Dayton Tennessee. It was a beautiful ride but very hot. I'm praising God that I made it safely. I'm at a Summit Worldview conference and after the opening session tonight I'm completely confident that I'm where I should be, this is going to be so good. Can't wait to share more with you after it's over.

Galatians 3:29 was the key for me as I thought about the whole chapter. "If you belong Christ, then you are Abraham's seed, and heirs according to the promise." I'm thankful for Abraham, his faith, his perseverance, his paving the way for me. Abraham is my forefather too. The promise wasn't for the Jewish descendants, and it wasn't for the non-Jewish descendants, it was and is for anyone who has faith in Jesus Christ. I know Paul sounds like a broken record here, but this faith thing, this grace not works thing, it's not only pivotal to our salvation, but also to how we live out our faith. If our best efforts didn't save us then our best efforts aren't going to keep us there, or any of our friends for that matter. It's extremely important to know the fundamentals of the Word.

Here is a good example of what happens when we don't (this comes from our Summit lecture tonight. What do students really believe? Moralistic - God wants them to be "good". Theapeutic - God wants me to be "happy". Deism - God is there when I need Him, but doesn't really require anything. Of course these are false beliefs but we are scratching our heads wondering "why?". That's my goal after leaving Summit that I will be able to effectively articulate the "why?". Maybe you know already, I would like to hear your answers.

Grace, MB

No comments: